Optionally remember the Show All Emitters state

Notes, tips, and other usefull things on how to use LogMX

Moderator: admin

jobemakar

Optionally remember the Show All Emitters state

Post by jobemakar »

Hi,

We've just updated to 5.4.1. One of the fixes we were looking for was the one where the emitter tree would not be removed when clearing the log. Thanks for getting that in there!

There was an unintended consequence though. And I'm not sure if this is a bug, but it is a behavior we really found useful. Prior to this update we would leave the logging pane open (TCP) and let the logs stream in. Often, we'd select some branch of the tree and hide other emitters. When we cleared the log, it still remembered that we wanted to hide other emitters. So when new logs could come in they respected that setting.

With this update, when we clear the log the hide settings are reset. And it shows all emitters again.

Like mentioned above, this may not be a bug. We we certainly found that behavior useful when rapidly debugging something. We would love to see that added back (either permanently or as an optional setting).

Let me know if I explained that well enough :)
admin
Site Admin

Re: Optionally remember the Show All Emitters state

Post by admin »

Hello,

In fact, this is not a bug, because since the tree is removed, it would be strange, in my opinion, to automatically hide new emitters that had been previously hidden. LogMX performs such an automatic behavior when a file is refreshed (i.e. previous tree state restored), but we are afraid that if LogMX has such a behavior when a log is flushed, the user would not expect that emitters would be automatically hidden, so he will miss some entries. Yet, I'm not sure how much this would be confusing for users...

But the good news is that you can quickly save the tree state manually using the "Filtering state" feature: in the toolbar, between the "Filter" and the "Calendar" buttons, click the "Filtering state" drop-down button to choose "Save current filtering state" before clearing the file. Then you can restore it by clicking on the new Filtering state that appeared in this drop-down menu.

I don't know if this solution is OK for you... we can also add a checkbox "Save emitters tree state" in the dialog box displayed to confirm file flush, but we are still not sure it would be OK for us... please let us know what you think!

Xavier
jobemakar

Re: Optionally remember the Show All Emitters state

Post by jobemakar »

Thanks Xavier. Let me get input from the team. They'll probably try what you described first and then we'll respond.