Saving the Log4J patterns?

Notes, tips, and other usefull things on how to use LogMX

Moderator: admin

markou

Saving the Log4J patterns?

Post by markou »

Hi,

first let me say that I'm very pleased with LogMX. It's like a new world after reading logs with less or vi.

Anyway, I have one question. Do I have to enter the Log4J patterns my different log files use each time I start LogMX, or is there a possibility to save my set of Log4J parsers? Further, I'd like to create a working set of parsers that could then be distributed to others in the organisation who may not be Log4J-literate enough to configure these themselves.

Thanks,

Marko
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hello,

Thank you, greatly appreciated.

Each time you define a new parser, it's automatically stored in LogMX preferences. You don't have to re-define it every time you restart LogMX.

As for sharing a set of parsers with other users, you can :
  • copy your preferences file "config/logmx.properties" from your LogMX directory to the other LogMX "config/" directory (=> all preferences will be shared)
  • if you don't want to share all your preferences, copy the line beginning with "registeredParsers=" from your "config/logmx.properties" in the other "config/logmx.properties" file
A new feature "import/export preferences" could be an idea. User would be able to check, in a list, the preferences to export/import: parsers, levels, network options, display settings, ...

Xavier.
markou

Post by markou »

Hi,

and thanks for the reply.

It seems that I need to exit gracefully to save the parsers into logmx.properties. I have a bad habit of using CTRL-C to exit programs. :)

BR,

Marko