Edit->Find Next finding multiple hits within a message

If you think LogMX needs a new useful feature!
isheedm

Edit->Find Next finding multiple hits within a message

Post by isheedm »

It appears that the Edit->Find Next function is finding each hit within a message. I have some log entries where the message is very large, and there are many hits for the search string. I'm really trying to move between log entries in the table, not within a message with Ctrl-Page Down. There is a button to find text within a message already, so I would prefer to use that to search within a message.

I'm not sure if this is a bug, or a feature request, but if possible, could the Ctrl-Page Down behavior be changed?
admin
Site Admin

Re: Edit->Find Next finding multiple hits within a message

Post by admin »

Hello,

You're right.
Do you think adding an option "find all occurrences for each entry" in "Find" dialog would be OK ?
So that:
  • it wouldn't be necessary to search within each entry message to know how many occurrences have been found in it
  • finding all occurrences would still be possible for ANY entry field (at this time, can't search within "Emitter", user-defined fields, or other fields)

Thank you,
Xavier
isheedm

Post by isheedm »

I don't understand what you are proposing. Can you describe it differently?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Rewording:
At this time, LogMX can't find a text directly within any specific entry field (only possible for "Message" field). So if Ctrl-PageDown behavior is changed as requested, and do not show all occurrences anymore, it would be OK for "Message" field as you said (you can search all occurrences within this field using the bottom Message panel), but not for all other fields.

So I proposed to let the user choose if (s)he wants to search all occurrences of the text for each field: this option would be added in "Find" dialog (checkbox "find all occurrences for each entry"). If this option is checked, Ctrl-PageDown will stop on a field as many times as there are found occurrences in this field. If this option is unchecked, Ctrl-PageDown will stop on a field only one time if there is one or more found occurrences in this field.
isheedm

Post by isheedm »

Thanks. I agree that the checkbox on the find option would be a good addition.

It took me awhile to figure out what was going on because the "found" text in the message panel wasn't highlighted/selected. Many times it does highlight text if you are searching within the message field, but maybe the Ctrl-PageDown doesn't always work? (especially if the log message is large and you need to scroll down to see the text that is highlighted)